- Sacred Smoke: The Ritual Practice of Fumigation and Offering in the Yungdrung Bön Religious Tradition
This book is both an in-depth overview and a practice manual for the ritual commonly known as sang [Tibetan: bsang]. Performed as a daily practice as well as on special occasions, the sang ritual of fumigation and offering is pervasive throughout both the Yungdrung Bön and Buddhist traditions because of its important relevance to ordinary people, lay practitioners, and monastics. The practice of sang is categorized within the Second Way of the Nine Ways of Bön and uses fragrant smoke to clear defilements from both the environment and its inhabitants.
The first part of Sacred Smoke introduces the reader to the sang ritual and provides a deeper understanding of the source, meaning, and purpose of the ritual. This includes descriptions of the kinds of defilements beings purified, the recipients of the offerings, and the benefits of performing the ritual.
The second part of Sacred Smoke provides the liturgical texts needed for the ritual including the original Tibetan with phonetics and the corresponding English translations. In addition to the sang ritual prayers according to the Menri tradition, Sacred Smoke includes texts for performing the sang ritual composed by the esteemed 23rd Menri Trizin, the sang ritual for the lu, and invocations to Blue Dzmbhala and Chammo Lamlha, the goddess of travel. Detailed instructions are given for how to perform the the ritual in either an extensive and more elaborate way, or a condensed version.
You who have incredible magical power, lords of intermediate space, lords of the earth and lords of the rivers and lakes who judge between right and wrong;
You are living here alongside human beings in this wonderful land.
You, great rulers of this area, when invited by this practitioner, please come to this place of offerings.—Excerpt from Fumigation Offering for Any Area, included within Sacred Smoke: The Ritual Practice of Fumigation and Offering in the Yungdrung Bön Religious Tradition
This is a 175 page hardcover with black and white images. It can be purchased from Amazon at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Smoke-Fumigation-Yungdrung-Religious/dp/130054578X/ref=sr_1_17?crid=1WC0O5NSI08YJ&keywords=sacred+smoke+book&qid=1647096918&sprefix=sacred+smo%2Caps%2C62&sr=8-17 or from the distributor from this link: https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/raven-cypress-wood/sacred-smoke/hardcover/product-977vd8.html?page=1&pageSize=4
- Indestructible: The Longevity Practice of Lama Tséwang Rikdzin
In the Yungdrung Bön tradition, the longevity practice of Lama Tséwang Rikdzin is foremost among the many longevity practices within the religious tradition. Indestructible: The Longevity Practice of Lama Tséwang Rikdzin by Raven Cypress Wood contains the English translation of the longevity practice of Lama Tséwang Rikdzin from the Tséwang Jarima Chok Dü scripture. From the foreword written by Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche:
“The wisdom of Tséwang Rikdzin and the practices associated with this teaching can help us retrieve, extend, and enhance our life force: healing environmental, physical, emotional, and energetic imbalances in our lives. Strengthening and extending our lifespan provides more time for our spiritual development and for serving and benefiting other sentient beings.”
Lama Tséwang Rikdzin is the embodiment of the Five Buddha Families and can therefore bestow any quality or wisdom that is needed. In this particular practice, the attainment of longevity, physical health, vitality, and a complete and healthy soul are emphasized.
This book is suitable for both those familiar and those unfamiliar with the practice. It includes information regarding the Yungdrung Bön religious tradition, Lama Tséwang Rikdzin, and the root text which contains the longevity practice. The book is available as a hardback edition with color images and text, or a black and white paperback edition. It can purchased through the Sacred Sky Press online store. The color hardback can be purchased at: Indestructible by Raven Cypress Wood Hardback
The black and white paperback can be purchased from the Ligmincha International Bookstore: https://ligmincha.org/product/indestructible-paperback/
“We pray for the mending of all of our lifespan that has been torn.
We pray to be reunited with all of our lifespan that has been separated from us.
We pray for all of our lifespan that has been dispersed to be gathered back together.
May our prosperity and our lifespan be deathless and indestructible!”
~Excerpt from ‘Indestructible: The Longevity Practice of Lama Tséwang Rikdzin”
- The Heartdrop of Jamma
The Heartdrop of Jamma also known by the Tibetan name Jamma Nying Tik translated from the Tibetan and annotated by Raven Cypress Wood. Both the color and the black and white publications can be purchased at: The Heartdrop of Jamma by Raven Cypress Wood This text is an aural transmission that was given to H.H. 22nd Menri Trizin Sonam Lodro Rinpoche by a manifestation of Jamma known as Khandro Sherap Lo Pélma, the wisdom mother who increases the intellect. In the practice of The Heartdrop of Jamma, each part of the practitioner’s body is transformed into an aspect of Jamma. In that way, one’s entire body becomes the enlightened mandala of the Loving Mother.
This booklet includes annotated, color images of Jamma along with her five wisdom manifestations and her eight manifestations that protect from fear. Additionally, there is a brief biography of H.H. 22nd Menri Trizin Sonam Lodro. In order to further support the practice, the booklet concludes with the translation of Removing Obstacles from the Path, another aural transmission of Khandro Sherap Lo Pélma that is often practiced as a daily recitation in the Bönpo community and considered a powerful means of protection and support.
La traducción al español de El Corazón de Jamma está disponible aquí, para blanco y negro: La traducción al español de La Gota del Corazón de Jamma, para el color https://www.lulu.com/en/en/shop/raven-cypress-wood/jamma-nying-tik-spanish-color/paperback/product-kdp2y8.html
« La sphère du cœur de Chamma », autrement dit le Jamma Nying Tik: https://www.lulu.com/shop/raven-cypress-wood/la-sph%C3%A8re-du-c%C5%93ur-de-chamma-la-m%C3%A8re-aimante/paperback/product-g4w974.html?q=&page=1&pageSize=4
Freely Offered Translations
These translations are offered freely for the personal use of Yungdrung Bön practitioners. No publication or digital distribution is allowed, in part or in whole, on any website or in any publication. Please respect this request. For recitation and receiving benefit and blessings, it is not necessary to have received the oral transmission of these prayers. Through their recitation, the practitioner is automatically engaging in the two accumulations of virtue and wisdom, and performing one of the thirteen activities of the Yungdrung Bön. (See post: https://ravencypresswood.com/2018/01/14/the-thirteen-bon-activities/) However, in order to receive the full benefit and power of the prayers, it is necessary to receive the oral transmission from a qualified Yungdrung Bön lama.
A pdf of these translations can be accessed through their respective Google Doc links.
- The Tséwang Mönlam, Tséwang’s Precious Mala of Beneficial Aspiration Prayers: This translation was offered to the Yungdrung Bön community upon the passing into parinirvana of the 33rd Menri Trizin in 2018. (See post: https://ravencypresswood.com/2017/09/14/tsewangs-precious-mala-of-meaningful-aspiration-prayers/) This prayer can be practiced daily, on auspicious days, upon the passing of one’s parents, or one’s root lama. Traditionally, it is also recited for those who have recently passed away during the forty-nine day period after death known as the bardo of death. Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d1LOlW-w3zlTV1HRbedK625IEcwwImPI
- The Bar Che Lam Sel, The Spontaneous Wish-Fulfillment of Removing Obstacles from the Path: Within the Yungdrung Bön tradition, the practice of the Bar Che Lam Sel, or Removing Obstacles from the Path, is a powerful method for removing any kind of obstacle being experienced by the practitioner. This prayer can be recited at any time, but especially during any experience of problems or obstacles, when starting a business or important endeavor, and during an astrologically calculated “obstacle year” which, according to Tibetan astrology, occurs during the ages of 1, 9, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73 and 81. The prayer can also be taken as a daily practice, or recited for the benefit of others and dedicated to their release from obstacles. Download link to the English translation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RTyGAYty1WWIsXoELWmM8p3unJlhzO7F Download link to the Spanish translation. La traducción es ofrecida de forma gratuita solo para uso personal. La liga para descarga de la traducción en español de la plegaria se encuentra aquí: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16RCSkoPKPx6MRur1HTvAsW-pdrPXhnHC Download link to the Portuguese translation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rNlPoSdOgf2y9o39JD2F3R0kAGOXAH10
- The Tonglen Mönlam, Aspiration Prayer of Giving and Receiving: Through the practice of the tonglen mönlam, we train the mind to consider the experience of others, develop our compassion, and ultimately realize the true nature of phenomena through the dissolution of both happiness and suffering back into its source. This prayer was written by the modern-day saint, Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen Rnpoche, who exhibited his high realization at the time of his passing out of his body through the attainment of the rainbow body of light. Download link to the English translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTqrSneJpPCnsjxqOClkDU5euRfaxmHY/view?usp=sharing Download link to the Spanish language translation. La traducción es ofrecida de forma gratuita solo para uso personal. La liga para descarga de la traducción en español de la plegaria se encuentra aquí: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1011Y9Dc5mOmJTc3GNetY_i3eP9OEgbe_
- The Invocation of Yeshé Walmo: Yeshe Walmo is an enlightened buddha who acts to guard the teachings of the Yungdrung Bön and its practitioners through a compassionately wrathful manifestation. Her invocation is performed each day in the evening along with the appropriate offerings. This translation is made available to the world-wide Yungdrung Bön community for their personal use. It is also available for limited use by Yungdrung Bön practice centers. Absolutely no publication of any kind including digital reproduction is allowed. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DUQNff7xeIMXeYrKIFRNL2L5EMdlermZ Download link to the Spanish language translation. La traducción es ofrecida de forma gratuita solo para uso personal. La liga para descarga de la traducción en español de la plegaria se encuentra aquí: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Ok_NcSXZHdtrqDNsGmHFJsO_Vq_-7U3
- Prayer of Aspiration for the Continuation of the Teachings, Tengyé Mönlam: The Tengyé Mönlam is a well-known prayer that is often sung as a group at the conclusion of special events or gatherings, and especially during significant ceremonies at the main monastery for the Yungdrung Bön Community, Tashi Menri Ling in India. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q58tDTuCqnE7gkbnrmkuTjp2pueZH3JQ/view?usp=sharing
- Words of Truth Aspiration Prayer: Published in honor of His Holiness 33rd Menri Trizin Lungtok Tenpé Nyima Rinpoché. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RGvwb8bwWEDHCBVezmn2EdK2YKP8A_DG/view?usp=sharing
- Eight-Branched Aspiration Prayer: Composed by His Holiness 1st Menri Trizin Rinpoché and commonly recited in the Yungdrung Bön religious community. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZwQt1udCby_Ifjt9zzxMPSF8dhTtybBM/view?usp=sharing
- The Chanted Verse of Impermanence: From the Aural Transmission of Zhang Zhung preliminary practices, this prayer is used to ripen the mindstream and prepare the spiritual practitioner for further spiritual development and more advanced practices. For more information about the fundamental practice of impermanence see the article: https://ravencypresswood.com/2020/09/19/ripening-the-mind-stream-with-the-practice-of-realizing-impermanence/ The English translation of The Chanted Verse of Impermanence can be downloaded for personal use from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/146WL9uyT8u842TVHKnmXJH60CHr5dHJz/view?usp=sharing
- Cleansing Rite Supplication: This is a condensed daily cleansing rite that is traditionally practiced first thing in the morning. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GIAl5VUTTvx4qt81fhuwQkiEaw9nCFs-/view?usp=sharing
- Aspiration Prayer of the Ten Grounds: This is one part of the three-part Mönlam Namsum which is one of the most commonly recited aspiration prayers within the Yungdrung Bön religious tradition. Download link to the English language translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qPRVRR7HgfdahnyGUopnm81lUbs3-R8z/view?usp=share_link
Thank you kind and generous donors who have made these freely offered translations possible! Your generosity is benefiting many people all over the world.
Since 2013, donations have enabled the continuation of this website and its associated activities which include these freely offered translations and over 500 published articles. Nine Ways is committed to making this information available to everyone equally without a paywall. Heartfelt thanks to the many contributors who have made this possible!
Want to join the mandala of Nine Ways supporters? Follow this link https://ravencypresswood.com/donate/
It’s easy through Paypal and Zelle.
ganz herzlichen Dank, dass ich diese Seiten lesen durfte.
Segen für alle
Tashi delek, thank you for the new publication, The Heartdrop of Jamma. Also I am interested in the offering you mentioned here on the practice Bar Che Lam Sel, The Spontaneous Wish-Fulfillment of Removing Obstacles from the Path. Would you consider teaching this on Zoom? Thank you.
My eternal gratitude is always supported by your devotion
Hello…. Do you have the Indestructible book in electronic form? I live in Colombia and I prefer this form of reading… Txs.
At this time, the book Indestructible is not available electronically.
All the best,